Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Besnard Lakes at the Showdown in Omaha, NE

I had never listened to a Besnard Lakes album, but had only read about the band. Yet when I saw they were playing in Omaha, I felt I had but no choice to see them. So I called up a friend of mine, and we drove down to Nebraska to see the band. They were playing at The Slowdown, and there was a cover charge of ten dollars. Both the gas money and the cover charge were completely worth it.

Both of us were blown away by the music of the Besnard Lakes. They are an indie rock group from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The group was formed by husband and wife Jace Lasek and Olga Goreas, and currently has six members. Even though there were not many people at the show, the band retained a funny and happy persona, joking in between songs and interacting with the audience.

Most of the Besnard Lakes’ songs start with a low, soft pace and build until the songs reach an ear defeaning climax, with all of the band members shouting at the top of their lungs. I found something to love within each song, and the band did not lose my attention throughout the entire performance.

Opening for the Besnard Lakes was Baby Walrus, a three piece that consisted of piano/synthesizer, guitar, and drums. The band was a good opener, with many lush melodies and upbeat dance numbers. Following them, there was also Starving Hungry, a four-piece punk band that was also very good. All in all, it was a terrific show.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I think my music knowledge is going to grow by reading your blog. Thanks for teaching me something.